18 February 2010

Garbage and recycling

Not unusual in Seoul ~

I'm not sure what would work better in terms of waste removal in Seoul.  Residents don't generally throw their garbage on the side of the street as shown in the above picture.  They are required to place it in valid garbage bags (which can be purchased in any convenience store).  But considering the amount of traffic in Seoul, it's actually surprising that there aren't more bags ripped open.  I don't think that bins would work well since streets are narrow, and there aren't any alleyways to store them.

I haven't quite figured out how the system works, but I know that there are different bags for different wastes.  Recyclables must be separated from food waste, and the non-recyclable must also be bagged separately.

Note the cute little food bags on the left-hand side.

Anyways, I don't know how the garbage/recycling is collected.  So far, I haven't seen trucks.  But I have evidence that shows that some of it disappears on two wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment